Right.
A few things that have happened recently:
1. Convent of La Tourette, Eveux-sur-Arbresle France, 1960, [Le Corbusier]

2. Boston City Hall: Boston Massachusetts, 1968 [Kallmann, McKinnell & Knowles]
3. ICA: Boston, Massachusetts, 2007 [Diller Scofidio + Renfro]
This is not at all to say that the ICA is the architectural heir to La Tourette, [I admittedly have a stiffy for Le Corbusier's work, good and bad] but it is pretty closely related to City Hall in its massing, control of public space [though in a much sparser context] and scale. It's different in at least as many ways, and it's better organized internally. In fact, it would probably succeed in Boston's Scollay Square than City Hall...the architects themselves have described it as "a machine for capturing views", which would be a much more successful aim if it were placed where City Hall is. But City Hall couldn't operate where the ICA now is. This pissed me off about a month ago when I first heard about it but I forgot about it. And now I'm tired enough to end this post without any logical conclusion to an argument I've barely made. Enjoy!
Oh, and the other things I wanted to include were 1. people laid off at work, [but not me], 2. the BSA housing competition I've been messing around with and which is making me paranoid, 3. American poverty becoming more pervasive in suburban, rather than urban settings and 4. A recent poll of the public's 100 favorite American buildings [the results are frightening.] ...Ambitious, right? Well maybe I'll get to it next time.
*the photos are from greatbuildings.com, wikipedia.com and archinect.com, respectively.


No comments:
Post a Comment